Monday, March 14, 2022

More free comics every day: "Spongebob Freestyle Funnies" 2018


This comic book a day is going to be hard, I completely forgot to post one yesterday, I guess I was tired after cleaning and took a nap and forgot all about it.

Today I read "Spongebob Freestyle Funnies" from FCBD 2018 and published by Plankton Pictures. The comic was written by Derek Drymon with pencils and inks by Robb Bihun and colored by John Kalisz. The lettering is by Rob Leigh. At least the main story was which is 24 pages

There is also a backup story whose script and layout is by James Kochalka and art by Vanessa Davis. Rob Leigh also does the lettering for this one. The administration and distribution was handled by Bongo Comics Group which also published some of the Bart Simpson comics.

The main story centers around Plankton's quest to steal the Krabby Patty Secret Recipe and in his latest plan, he enlists the help of the ocean's most diabolical villains. 

Now I confess, I was never a big fan of the cartoon when it premiered. For a while there when my nephews were growing up, they were big fans and so was my brother, but I never got into it, I guess it is not my type of humor. I do confess I chuckled a few times reading this comic. It is good to see that there are "all ages" comic books because there are certainly a plethora of dark and gritty books which are also fun, but they are not appropriate for younger readers.

Spongebob's obsession with comic books and superheroes is hilariously exploited in the main story and drives the narrative. It's nothing out of this world, but it serves its purpose as a light kid friendly romp. This comic is also intended for readers to get into Spongebob's collection of comic books. If you don't like the brand of humor from the cartoon, you are probably not going to like this book.

I did a little bit of research on the creators of the cartoon and it is a sad story. Sadly, both Spongebob Squarepant's creator Stephen Hillenburg and animator Tuck Tucker passed away, the former in 2018 and the latter at the age of 59 two years later. According to Deadline, Tucker worked on Nickelodeon's "Rugrats" as well as on "The Simpsons."  

I would give this comic a 7.5 out of 10



 

No comments:

Post a Comment