Monday, June 17, 2013

Welcome to Epic Bin. Come back often!

Welcome to Epic Bin Loot. This blog is all about finding the hidden treasures in the bins at the comic book store, a practice dear and near to every comic book reader's heart.

I have a secret location which I visit at least once a month to dig up older comics and books that have been relegated to the discounted bins and boxes.

Once upon a time, I collected comic books and they were fun, and life was good. However, over the course of time life and obligations have intruded into my favorite hobby and thus I was forced to stop collecting or reading comic books.

I love comics, always will but I feel that the reason I stopped collecting them were as follows:

1. They got too expensive. In the case of Marvel Comics, for example, premium titles like Iron Man and Spider-Man go for almost $4 per title. Yikes! When I started collecting comics, many moons ago, they were 60 cents per book. Granted, the quality in pages and production has increased, but I cannot justify blowing $4 or $5 on a book especially when the economy blows and that much will give me a tank of gas. Maybe if the books were good...which brings me to....

2. Today's comics are too predictable or unoriginal in comparison to days gone by. I know this is a highly subjective assessment, you can feel free to disagree with me, but I find that I love the books from yesteryear more than today's which lack originality or are often a vehicle for other mediums like TV shows or movies (You feel me Robert Kirkman?) I mean really do we really need to have 10 Avengers titles now Marvel??

3. It's fun to look and buy comics which I don't normally buy, or even know about, to this end this blog spotlights the quirky and the unusual that can often only be found in the cheap bins! Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it ain't any good. Trust me on this one!

So pull up a chair and come back soon, I will be detailing some of the best nuggets in the comic book world in the days to come, or at least some of the best in the quarter bins. I promise it will be a fun read!!

No comments:

Post a Comment